Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Being Neighbourly

Katie did some community service today!

We had booked an e-waste collection just down the road, but it fell through at the last minute, leaving my schedule in disarray. Instead we went to go help our neighbour move a bed from nearby storage to his home.

While hooking up the trailer, Katie gave me a bit of a fright. Our yard has a small slope to it, I'd reversed her up this nearer the trailer and had just finished hooking it up when I saw her start to move forward.... without me in the driver's seat! I don't think I've ever run around a trailer and squeezed through the gate gap so fast. I had visions of her popping in across the road for a cuppa, but fortunately she didn't. It was a mere small movement forward, just enough to truly wake me up and make sure I was paying attention.

The rest of the day was uneventful by comparison. We did a trip to the beach area, a trip to the town area, and then battled through the ongoing road construction, up a steepish hill behind a brick-loaded truck in first gear and home again. No overheating, no kak (not even an attempt to throw me out, as she did last Friday when the driver's door opened suddenly as we were speeding down the highway!) and no drama.

Well.. except for one thing. Her friend Olivia is coming back home tomorrow without her heart transplant (replacement engine is a dud) - and Katie's probably going to have to provide the forward motion to get her here.

Sleep well Katie - tomorrow's another big day.

No comments:

Post a Comment